This easy, five ingredient banana peanut butter chocolate smoothie has a thick, creamy texture and tons of chocolate + peanut butter flavor!
It is also remarkably versatile – a perfectly healthy breakfast, our go-to snack, post-work out treat or a dessert.
Frozen bananas provide an ice cream-like base, dates lend their sweetness, almond milk brings extra creaminess, peanut butter contributes protein + healthy fats and cacao powder adds antioxidants as well as our favorite chocolate flavor!
• 1 large ripe banana, sliced and frozen
• 2 tbsp all natural peanut butter
• 1-2 dates, pitted
• 1 tbsp cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/2 to 1 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice) – if you’d like an ice cream consistency, skip the milk
• 1 tbsp flax or hemp seeds or chia seeds for added nutrition
• pinch of salt (if peanut butter is unsalted)
• almond flakes and cacao nibs for garnish
- Add all ingredients except milk to the blender. Pour in almond milk a little bit at a time, adding only enough to allow the ingredients to blend together. Add more for a thinner shake or don’t add it at all for an ice cream.
- Taste and adjust flavors.
- Serves 1 generously or makes two small portions. Best when fresh, though it will keep covered in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Or you can freeze it to make popsicles!